Teacher-Child Development Center
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The teacher sets and maintains a nurturing classroom environment that offers a developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets the needs of the individual children and families in their classroom. This is aligned with the educational and philosophical goals of the program. In addition, the teacher provides supervision and mentoring to teacher assistants, aides, and volunteers.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Adheres to NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct, demonstrating a professional attitude and work ethic. Demonstrates respect for children, families, and colleagues at all times.
2. Develops and implements a child centered, play-based curriculum that provides for a variety of developmentally appropriate activities. This promotes children’s development in the areas of language and literacy, cognition, social-emotional well-being, and physical health. This should be done with consideration of the Center’s goals, educational philosophy, curriculum plans, and grant and all funding/licensing requirements.
3. Provides a nurturing, stimulating, non-punitive, and culturally sensitive environment that encourages language, self-expression, exploration, creativity, imaginative play, problem-solving skills, and the development of positive relationships.
4. Provides a safe, healthy environment for children, ensuring attention to classroom health, hygiene, nutrition, and safety. This includes maintaining a clean and orderly environment for the children; ensuring children attend to personal hygiene/hand washing; teaching children about health and nutrition; reporting accidents, injuries, and illnesses to parents and supervisors; and maintaining constant supervision of children.
5. Oversees and participates in the completion of all required documentation reports, logs, assessments, lesson plans and records to comply with all licensing and funding regulations.
6. Ensures that parents are greeted warmly and receive information about their child’s experience at the Center through daily contact, scheduled conferences, and written documentation.
7. Participates in Center staff meetings, offering information that may be of benefit to other teachers and staff. May be asked to share information from their own professional development or provide professional development to other staff.
8. Regularly schedule team meetings with classroom staff to discuss curriculum, classroom and center issues, individualization of the curriculum for all children, addressing student needs, etc.
9. Adheres to all requirements put forth by funding, licensing, and accreditation agencies.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
· Master’s Degree preferred. Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development, Early Childhood, or equivalent and an Illinois Type 04 teaching certificate required. In addition, ECE credential Level 5 and two years’ experience teaching preschool children. Teaching certificates from other states will be considered.
· Must have and maintain a warm, supportive attitude towards children and their families.
· Should be able to demonstrate the ability to create developmentally appropriate lesson plans, interact positively with children and other staff, and understand and attend to the physical, social cognitive and emotional needs of the children.
· Must be able to lead a team, supervise personnel, and manage the classroom environment and requirements.
· Must be willing to accept supervision and continue professional development in the field in order to improve work performance.
· Excellent written and communication skills for children, parents, and other staff members, as well as for documenting children’s growth and learning.
· Must be flexible in receiving assignments and adapting to changes in the program. Must be willing to participate in quality enhancement initiatives that the center may undertake.
· Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
· Ability to operate computers and use applicable software required.
This is a full-time exempt position